Tuesday, September 14, 2010

What Do You See?


Things aren't always what they seem to be. We usually look at things from our own perspective. We may see ourselves as being successful in most things we attempt to do — or just the opposite. Can we always trust others to gain a truer picture of ourselves, or our achievements, that is without them knowing all the facts?

Years ago, I gave a talk to a women's group. It was a little excursion into how I came to be working in a particular job. It showed a different perspective of the person they thought they knew. They were surprised, and so was I by their comments. They thought they knew me, and were surprised to find their judgments were incorrect. I then realised that my natural shyness had given an impression of remoteness. So it was good to leave that building having drawn closer to people who mattered to me.

For a particular reason I took this photograph of our cooker. When I saw the result it brought a smile to my face. Now what impression does it give?

What is ‘inside’ me? What do others think they see?

What is ‘inside’ you?

2 comments:

Payton L. Inkletter said...

What a great photo! At the risk of sounding overly pious, I see your fragment of God's spirit illuminating you from within, held in your hands. It will guide you back to Paradise by its rebound momentum.

And what a powerful and useful, if we could handle it, source of information knowing what others assumed about us would be! An opportunity to improve our self-presentation plus to improve our core, as well as a two-way mirror into the human condition.

At first I wondered why you used the top section of your oven for storage!

Sheila Deeth said...

What a great way to illustrate your point!